Castles and Barracks
Beykoz Barracks are built inside 20 thousand square meters of area right beside the Beykoz Prairie, and is a significant element of historical building diversity inside Beykoz. The Barracks complex consists of nine first graderegistered units is built upon Byzantine remains thought to be an ancient monastery.
The remains are dated to the 6th century and it is thought that these are the water complex and oil workshop of the monastery. The remains are of stone-wall design, built with the characteristic Byzantium brick-wall layout technique and consist of galleries.
The barracks have a majestic arched door and its construction date and its function in Selim III.’s time are unknown. Sultan Selim plans to transform Beykoz to an industrial zone and orders the construction of a paper mill and a drapery factory in the area. When Selim III. is dethroned during a riot, Mahmud II. takes responsibility for the project. Sultan Mahmud buys the tannery established by Hamza Bey in 1800 and starts supplying the leathercraft needs of his army. During the historical process, the building complex is converted to the Paper Mill and Drapery Factory in 1803, to a Shoe Factory and Military Sewing Workshop in 1826, to a Cholera Quarantine in 1863, back to tannery in 1863 and to the barracks of the military units located on the Beykoz Prairie in 1945. It functions as a Military Police Station until 1980. The building is left to its fate after this date and restoration started in 2008. The building complex will be transformed to a cultural center containing multipurpose halls, libraries, exhibitions, workshops and performance areas after the restoration.