Although its construction began in 1845 by the Governor of Egypt, Mehmet Ali Pasha, after he died, the construction was completed by his son in 1854 and presented to Sultan Abdulmecid as a gift. Its reason of construction is an apology. When Ibrahim Pasha of Kavala who attacked the Ottoman State wins a victory in the Konya Plain, the sultan of the time asks for Russia’s help. An agreement is signed on the Hünkar Pier in front of the Beykoz Prairie, on which the Russian soldiers camped in return for their help. This is of course an unfortunate incident for the Ottoman State. History records this agreement under the name “Hünkar Pier”. 12 years later, when Mehmet Ali Paşa of Kavala visited Istanbul, he decided to have a large pavilion built to be presented to Sultan Abdulmecid Khan, on the land where this agreement was signed. Today, we call this pavilion Beykoz or Mecidiye pavilion. It was in ruins when the Republic was announced. It was first commissioned as an orphanage and a trachoma hospital. The building hosted refugees for a while and then was repaired to be used as a clinic in 1953, and transformed to the Beykoz Preventorium in 1963. The Pavilion that functioned as Beykoz Child Breast Diseases Hospital until 1997, is now under restoration.